Friday, October 1, 2021

Choices

 Long aeons ago when Time itself was young ;the Goddess woke,yawned and stretched her arms.It was so fatiguing —this business of choosing a husband among the most powerful Gods in the universe.And they never forgot it. Or allowed her to do so.That was very irritating.Or amusing.It depended on the you looked at it.

The birds chirped and lake waters shimmered in the rays of the morning sun.Drops of dew crystallised into diamonds against the emerald background of forest grass. It was a perfect bridal morning.

The Goddess frowned and tapped her long fingers against her nose.She had made up her mind.She was the most powerful being in the universe and no one was going to even question that fact. Ever. Her lion shook his mane slightly and looked at her out of limpid brown eyes.

He was a gentle lion.   

The Creator,Brahma.stroked his beard as he listened to the Goddess,his chosen bride.She smiled at him.”I need six months to decide between the three of you,” she murmured.”Of course, I have already made up my mind but I need to break the news gently to the other two who are not chosen.All of you are so powerful,the Lords of the Universe...”she tapered off. “Could you meet me in this very forest after that time?”

Brahma nodded and swaggered off.His swan threw a knowing look at the lion. They were very sure of themselves.The lion sighed. He could not imagine sharing the same quarters as the sardonic swan.

Vishnu,the suave and handsome Preserver, and Shiva the nonchalant Destroyer were given the same terms.They were to meet six months later at the forest.The Goddess smiled to herself as she watched her suitors leave. Peace,six months of pure peace.she told the lion happily.Of course she had completely made up her mind about her bridegroom.

Six months later, Brahma looked in horror at the creature that was waiting for him in the deep forests.Where was that golden cream complexion,the lush folds of thick black hair,that wonderful face? “ I have been waiting for you my Lord,but,oh,I have been so sick”, whined the shrivelled creature , holding onto his fingers tightly. “But I am better now...and we can get married”, she cackled.  

Recoiling in revulsion, Brahma pulled his fingers away.”Later,later,”, he muttered. “Uh...got urgent work...wars...turmoil...demons...cannot  possibly get married now...Vishnu and Shiva...uh...are better men ...uh...Gods”. The creature emitted a howl of distress as Brahma fled the scene.

Vishnu patted the hands pockmarked with running sores . He stroked the almost balding head of the lady he professed to love."Dear one,I cannot get married now...the world needs me", he crooned.

The Goddess,an unhappy wreck,held his beautiful lotus like feet and wept," But I need you too",she wept. Her lost teeth made a mockery of her hanging lips. One sighted eye glared wildly at him. The other eye was an empty socket.

" I know", smiled the Preserver. " But you see there is the entire world to consider..." Gently he drew away. The caricature wept wildly. Vishnu washed himself in the sparkling waters of the forest lake. He was a fastidious God. And an extremely good actor 

Under a black sky,unrelieved by the diamond glitter of stars or the glowing moon,the disfigured Goddess sat by the waterfall. Dark cascades of water rushed down. The woman moaned and tiny rivulets of pus ran down her wounded eyes. Blood gushed in scalp sores from her head. Her skin was black with wrinkles,pitted with pustules. She writhed in pain. And it was here that Shiva the Destroyer,striding down from his mountain abode,found her. He took her in his arms.

The Goddess opened her eye and looked at the God." I want to be married before I die", she moaned. Shiva hugged the disgusting object tenderly. " Goddesses don't die",murmured the handsomest of the Gods,a trifle surprised " And I have come to marry you".

"Goddesses don't die but women do",smiled the Goddess to herself. 

Remember,she had already chosen her husband. She winked at her resigned lion. And snuggled closely into Shiva's arms 

It was a grand wedding. Everyone came. Brahma and Vishnu arrived,congratulating themselves that they were not sitting next to the haggard bundle...only...it was not a haggard bundle...but the glorious Goddess,radiant hued,eyes sparkling with mischief.

"You tricked us..."snorted Brahma.

"Exactly",purred the Goddess."You were so deceived by appearances".

Vishnu said nothing,but stood by looking noble and grieved. And forgiving. Gods were men,after all.

The shining Goddess looked at the three great ones and put her hand in Shiva's. He smiled slightly. Then the bride's radiance seemed to glow as it engulfed all the three worlds. The Gods and all present knelt in awe. The Glorious One spoke. Gently. And kindly.

"I am the World",she said."From me are the worlds born,take shape and are preserved. I also destroy when needed. But it is I and I alone who are the world. Is the world.Shall be the world. I rule. You are there to help me. But even when I am old, disfigured and sick it is I who prevails. But I never forget that you are there to help me. I honour you for that. You have forgotten to honour me".

She paused and looked at Shiva and her eyes shone. " Only one of you knew me and really cared.He looked beyond the obvious and found me.I am his wife now and always shall be. But because you are the great Gods you need partners too,otherwise there will be turmoil in creation."

Brahma and Vishnu looked relieved. The Goddess laughed. A light sprang from her crowned head and settled besides Brahma. Seconds later,the coldly beautiful Saraswati took shape. Music began to sing softly in the air. Her swan bedecked with pearls looked scornfully at Brahma's bird. It stepped away,abashed.

The Goddess nodded at the Lord of Creation." I give you Saraswati,the Goddess of Learning,as your wife".she said. Brahma looked nervously at his haughty lady,pale-skinned,stony-eyed. She looked like having a temper. Later events were to prove his apprehensions correct.

Vishnu spoke patiently. "I am waiting. We do deserve some consideration after the way you trifled with our affections..."

The Goddess looked at him with amusement. "I am considering all of you",she said gravely. From her heart sprung a golden ray of light and moved to settle beside Vishnu. Everyone gasped with admiration as the luminous Goddess of Wealth,Lakshmi,took form.Vishnu took her arm with proprietary pride but she stepped away.

" I need to be wooed",said Lakshmi. "I am not easily won though I am destined to be your wife. I will live in the sea and be known as his daughter till you come to take me away as I should be taken home."The Lord of the Seas welcomed her into his abode and the beautiful Goddess of Wealth disappeared. Vishnu smiled wryly.

The great Goddess looked around benignly. "Choices",she said softly. " Well,you all made yours as I made mine". She glanced at her husband and sprang up beside him on his bull. The lion padded after them contentedly. He had already made good friends with Shiva's stately bull. All eyes followed the divine couple as they started on their way home.From a forest Goddess to a mountain deity...the choice had already been made ...and legends were already in the making...










1 Comments:

At October 3, 2021 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So beautiful 😍

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home